Friday, November 27, 2015

MIM232: A Fun Place Card Project!

Happy Black Friday, friends! Are you still feeling thankful? I know I am!

Today I wanted to show you a fun place card project that I made for our Thanksgiving table.

The Make It Monday challenge at PTI featured Dawn showing us all how to accomplish layered stamping using kraft card stock and white ink pads. And as you know from my previous post, I am now smitten with the Fresh Snow ink pad from Papertrey Ink.

I decided to make place cards using the lovely new stamp set, Phrases and Praises. I can tell already that this set is going to be in heavy rotation in my collection!

Here's how I made the base of my place card. I cut a strip of kraft card stock to 3 1/2 inches by seven inches, and folded over at 3 1/2. Then, I put the base, folded over, into my cutter and moved it to the center at 3 1/2 inches, where I carefully placed the cut from bottom up until just about one third of the way from the bottom, cutting through both layers.  This gave me a perfect midway point to eyeball. Then, using scissors, I just cut from one corner to that midway point through both layers, and then from the other corner to that midway point. And then you end up with a triangular section missing, thus forming the stand of the place card.






For the stamping on the place cards, I used the set Leaf Prints, first stamping each image in Fresh Snow, and then stamping over that spot again with a different color ink, only slightly off so that you can see the white shadow underneath. I think I used some berries from Twig Wreath stamp set to finish this off.

{Today's Brew: Leaf Prints stamp set (PTI), Phrases and Praises stamp set (PTI), Twig Wreath stamp set (PTI), PTI inks/dies/ card stock}

Before the meal began, I collected the place cards so that they wouldn't get messy from gravy drippings ( I have a house full of boys, remember?). And during the meal, I asked them "So who can remember what your place card said?"

"I know!" my son, John replied. "God's eyes are like sparrows!"

Bwa ha ha! Okay, close enough.

After the meal, I turned the place cards into this sweet banner to hang from the hutch in the dining room! I simply draped them over a length of twill ribbon, clipped them on, and voila! Something we can appreciate over the holidays. And who knows? Those place cards may make an appearance again for our Christmas meal together.



Sorry for the dark photos...it's a gray and gloomy day today, and the rains have washed all of the pretty snow away.

I hope your weekend is full of blessings, cafe friends!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea to make place cards and you picked a stamp set I wouldn't think to use for this technique. Perfect! And John's comment made me laugh too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Rose....checking on you as I have not seen a post from you in a while...and I miss it. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete