Friday, November 6, 2015

A Miracle in Bloom


A miracle happened this week. My Christmas cactus bloomed!

I'm sure that some people would not qualify that as a miracle, but let me tell you the journey of this little plant that could.

In June, the Terrible Packers Who Shall Remain Unnamed packed my houseplants in cardboard boxes when I wasn't looking. I'm not sure what I was doing at the time. Probably sitting in the front seat of my car, holding the ashes of my dog in my lap in a most pathetic way, and sobbing my eyes out in my driveway. Anyhow, when I was not supervising them, the packers put my houseplants in moving boxes, sealed them up tight, and put them on a truck. Three states and three days later, I found my houseplants in boxes, unpacked them, and put them on the front porch for the summer. Every now and then, in the midst of home reno, I'd remember to water them.


A few weeks ago, I brought the house plants indoors and put them in the sun room. And now, miraculously, my Christmas cactus is blooming! A few weeks earlier than it should, but blooming none the less.

Albert Einstein said "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is a miracle."

Today, I am celebrating the resilient nature of this Christmas cactus, and holding on to this metaphor for my own family as well. We may have been packed up, jostled about, and unceremoniously dumped into a new location, but that doesn't mean we cannot still reach for the light and bloom where we are planted.



I played around with my new stamp set, Petite Pots (Papertrey Ink) yesterday. And lo and behold, there's a blossom in that set that looks a lot like my Christmas cactus! I borrowed the little saucer oval stamp from Warm Happiness to give the plant a little doily to rest upon.

{Today's Brew: Petite Pots (PTI), Warm Happiness (PTI), PTI ink/cardstock/gingham paper, enamel dot}

Hope your day is bloomin' wonderful, cafe friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment