Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Walk Worthy


I've been working through a study of First and Second Thessalonians for several weeks. This study by Beth Moore, called Children of the Day, was one that I'd attempted last fall but only made it halfway through. I thought I'd give this study a try again, and I am reminding myself that time spent with the Lord and in His word is never wasted.

Last week, Beth's video presentation mentioned this verse, and it stuck with me for days afterward.


The NIV translates this passage a little differently. It says " live lives worthy of God." But in this instance, I think I preferred the ESV passage that says "walk in a manner worthy of God."

Walk worthy.

Those two words jumped off the page and into my heart. I know that the only way I can be worthy of God's grace is through the redemption He offered in Christ. And still, we are called to walk worthy because, as the verse continues, He "Calls you into his own kingdom and glory."

Sanctified. Set apart.

And yet, as Beth so aptly put it, some of us have a tendency to "grace ourselves right out of obedience."


So how can I walk worthy? For me, I have to listen when the Holy Spirit whispers.

Right now, the prime time channels are airing previews for the new fall season shows, and honestly, just viewing the trailers makes me feel filthy. Maybe, just maybe, that's the Spirit whispering "Turn off the television and go read a good book instead."

Spending too much time on the internet...time to go scrub a bathroom for my family.

When I become frustrated inside the house, Spirit beckons me outdoors.

When I am out in public, it takes nothing to be kind and cheerful.

When thoughts turn dark and negative, I can remember the joy that Beth calls "happiness without the moodiness".

When prompted, I can make that phone call or send that card or jot down that email.

And maybe God is literally calling me to walk with Him...to lace up my tennis shoes and walk and talk with Him in prayer.


I roughly sketched this page with pencil, went back with my fine point Sharpie, and then filled in with watercolors. Honestly, when I use my Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolors, I feel like an artist. A few good paint brushes, 24 pans of color, and anything is possible.

I'm struggling with this "walk", as I am in such a different place in life than I was just one year ago when I last did this study. But I have to look forward and keep walking, every day. The ground that I am walking on has changed, but the God I walk with hasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment