Monday, March 30, 2015

The Story of the Open House Stew

We've had a revolving door of showings at our house this week.

An agent tour on Tuesday, followed by three house tours.

An open house on Saturday, along with two more house tours.

And every day in between? House showings at all hours of the day, but most often the evenings.

Evening showings pose a problem. How in the world can I feed the family if I have to leave the house at dinner time?

The answer, of course, is that you have to take the family out to eat. It might sound like a great option in the beginning, but it gets old really fast. And expensive.


I finally hit upon a great idea. Make dinner early in the afternoon, serve it in the late afternoon, and then skedaddle!

My body was craving something wholesome and nourishing, so I decided to make my Curried Vegetable Stew. Cauliflower, chickpeas, and assorted veggies. Mmmm!  And my oh my, was it ever delicious!


It was nice to finally sit around our own table again, breaking bread and sharing our day.

We cleaned the dishes, wiped down the kitchen, and left the house for the showing.

But when we came back a few hours later, we walked into the house and were greeted by an unpleasant odor.

"What's that smell?" my eldest asked.

The only way we can possibly describe it? Farts. Honest, it smelled like farts.

"Oh no! How could it smell that bad! I washed the dishes!"

And then it dawned on me. In my haste to get the family out of the house, I forgot to take the trash in the kitchen out to the garbage can in the garage.

Pee-eww!

Strangely, no offers to buy our house for top dollar came in that night. But I have learned an important lesson. Cooking odors will linger. Burn candles, spray some Febreeze, open a window.

Or better yet, take the family out to dinner...and get your soup at Panera's. ha ha ha! I crack myself up!

If your house is not on the market, and you remember to wash the dishes AND take out the trash, I highly recommend this hearty stew!

Open House Stew (formerly known as Curried Vegetable Stew)

3T. Olive Oil
1 Green Pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small head cauliflower, chopped
2 turnips, chopped (can substitute with potato)
1 carton chicken broth
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
2 t. curry
salt and pepper
2 bay leaves
fresh parsley

In Dutch oven, saute onion, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil. Add turnips and cauliflower, stirring until softened. Then add chicken broth, chickpeas, and diced tomatoes, and seasoning. Cook on low heat until veggies are softened, about one hour. Add chopped parsley as garnish to each bowl and serve.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment